As the temperatures starts to dip, it is a good reminder to prepare for the upcoming winter. We all know what winter holds in Minnesota – cold temperatures and freezing precipitation. And the winter of 2022 is predicted to be cold and snowy. This weather can really take a toll on your vehicle, even if you are lucky enough to have a garage to store it in when you are home. The vehicle technicians at Clark Automotive have developed a list of tips for winterizing your vehicle in the coming months:
● Check tires: Your tire pressure can drop considerably when the temperatures drop. It is important to check your tire pressure regularly especially during the winter months so that you are not driving on unsafe tires. If you have snow tires, you will also want to change to those as winter approaches.
● Check fluid levels: It is a good time to check the fluid levels in your vehicle so that they do not freeze over the cold winter months. Consider adding antifreeze (if recommended) and check your washer fluid, oil and coolant.
● Wiper blades: The months before winter is a great time to change your wiper blades. This is an easy (and inexpensive investment) that will give you peace of mind when the snow, rain and freezing rain begins to fall.
● Emergency kit: Pack an emergency kit and make sure that it is in your vehicle at all times. This should include a blanket, jumper cables, water/snacks, a flashlight, first aid kit, cell phone charger, ice scraper, and tire pressure gauge/inflator. This way, if you get stuck in traffic for an extended period of time or your car will not start, you will have some of the necessities that you need to stay warm and safe.
● Get gas frequently: We recommend that you keep your gas tank at ½ a tank or more during those winter months, just in case you are caught in a situation where you are stuck, you have enough gas to get you to your destination.
● Winter inspection: It is always recommended to get a quick car inspection before the winter months to check your vehicle’s battery, hoses, belts, thermostat and cabin air filter to be sure that there are no problems heading into the winter months.
Blaine, Minnesota Auto Repair Shop
Clark Automotive is a trusted auto shop in Blaine, MN that can help you winterize your vehicle this season. We can take a quick look at your car to be sure that we do not see anything that may put you at risk as you drive around these next few months. For more information about an affordable winter inspection, call us at 763-784-7944.