As the weather cools down here in Minnesota, one of the to-do list items we often forget has to do with properly maintaining our vehicles. Winter car maintenance is extremely important because you never want to be left stranded during the extremely frigid conditions that are an everyday occurrence during the colder months here in Minnesota. At Clark Automotive, we have a team of certified mechanics who are all well versed in winter car maintenance so do yourself a favor and make an appointment to check out your ride before the temperatures really start to drop!
Common Winter Car Maintenance Tips
Below are just a few common winter car maintenance tasks that we recommend here at Clark Automotive.
• Check your oil – It’s important to make sure your oil is in good shape prior to the drop in temperatures. Oil often thickens up as the weather gets colder which can make it more difficult to start your car. You can also use a different type of oil that’s made to be used for winter driving.
• Keep your car clean – Snow, sand and salt can do a number on any vehicle. You want to help improve visibility and reduce the possibility of rust by keeping your car clean. It’s always a good idea to keep your car clean but be sure to avoid freezing wipers, locks and doors.
• Top off fluids – Be sure your coolant is topped off as well as your windshield wiper fluid.
• Check your battery – Your battery tends to fail either in the dead of winter or the heat of the summer. It’s likely a good idea to have your local mechanic check your battery before heading into winter each year.
• Check your tires – As it gets colder outside, your tires will likely lose air pressure. If your tires are underinflated, it can affect how they grip on the road as well as cause them to wear out prematurely.
• Replace your windshield wipers – It’s a good idea to go ahead and replace your windshield wipers before it gets too cold here in Minnesota. Ineffective windshield wipers can lead to dangerous conditions out on the road, especially when snow and ice is involved.
Ready for Your Vehicle’s Winter Check Up?
If you’re interested in keeping your vehicle on the road this winter, why not schedule an appointment to get your car checked out before we’re hit too hard with frigid temperatures this winter? Feel free to give Clark Automotive a call today at (763) 784-7944 to have one of our ASE certified mechanics check out your car before winter hits!